Pittiplatsch was a regular on East German children's television for some 30 years. His show ended in 1991 but that didn't seem to put a dint in the goblin's enduring popularity. Today Pitti has a great following on Facebook where fans regularly post pictures of him taken from all corners of the earth.
Rights holder rbb Media was looking for something fun that would firstly entertain Pitti's older fans, and secondly announce the availability of new Pitti merchandise. Although it was a live action production and not animation, the branding steps were similar.
What Wivern did in Pre-Production:
1. Analysed 20 original episodes to fully understand Pitti's lovable, impatient, sensitive yet mischievous character
2. Conceived an overarching concept that would not require a new voice actor to replace the original
3. Crafted three humorous scripts based on sentences cut from multiple original recordings, so that the clips to be produced, set in the real world with real people instead of puppets, would retain Pitti's character and charm.
Once the final scripts were accepted:
4. Produced storyboards and scouted for locations in Berlin
5. Drafted and secured permissions and contracts for locations
6. Shot footage for all three 2 minute clips in a day with mascot.
7. Composed original music
8. Conceived simple intro animation
9. Digitally levelled sound files from original episodes with differing qualities to achieve a cohesive whole
10. Delivered final versions as mp4 HD video files for direct upload to Youtube and Facebook on time.
The project drew on most of the end-to-end service offerings Wivern Digital can provide clients, including humorous short-form writing, visualisation, filming, animation, sound design, voiceovers and music composition. The client reported a 1000% increase in sales of their new merchendise line thanks to 100,000 views on Facebook over the course of two weeks.
"With Wivern Digital, we have succeeded in bringing Pittiplatsch back to life the way everyone loves him - funny, entertaining and cheeky. We thank Wivern Digital for the great collaboration!"